Students come from every walk of life, representing a rich tapestry of experiences, cultures, traditions and languages. Many will have questions about student life and culture, or be exploring their identity and role in the world. Many will face significant challenges, from isolation and anxiety, to financial pressures and managing relationships.
We also know that the transition to university represents a wonderful opportunity to encounter Christianity, helping people tackle difficult questions, grow in faith and discern a future vocation. Their questions and passions can add new life to the church, enriching our worship and sense of mission.
By reaching out to students and supporting young people, we believe a transformation can happen: a world acting more justly, a people speaking up for the poor, and a church bringing God’s love to broken communities.
Do you have students in your congregation, or are you near to a university and want to find out more about starting a student ministry in your church? Perhaps your church has young people aged 16-18 and you're looking for resources to help them prepare for the transition to university? Either way, you're in the right place!
Become an SCM Link Church!
SCM Link Churches support the aims of SCM, and are seeking to minister to students and young people at this crucial stage in their lives. Some do this through running student groups, promoting SCM and our events, or celebrating Student Sunday. Others share our Going to Uni guides with young people in their congregation and hold them in prayer as they move to university. Each Link Church is different, but in every church students will feel welcomed as they are and loved by their community.
By signing up as a Link Church you will have access to a whole host of resources, including Going to Uni guides and workshops for 16-18 year olds through our SCM Connect project, and Welcoming Students to Your Church resources if you are a church looking to grow your ministry with university students. Link Churches also receive:
- Support and advice from our staff team
- Information about training that we are running in your area, and the opportunity to book onto our Effective Student Work Training before places go on general sale
- Publicity materials such as flyers, coasters and postcards
- Copies of Movement magazine twice per year, and mailings with information about new resources and upcoming events for your students and young people
- Churches near to universities will also receive a profile on SCM Connect, our online directory, which includes a short description of your church, a photo and details of how students can get in touch