WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Flip chart paper and pens, or equivalent.
- Paper and pens for the young people to take notes - you could allow them to use their ‘phones for this, but this is at your discretion!
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
· To openly discuss some of the stereotypes relating to Uni and break these down.
· To enable students to be more confident in themselves as they prepare for Uni life.
· By showing students that the stereotypes are just stereotypes and not expectations.
· By enabling students to realise that it is possible to continue developing their faith at Uni.
SETTING THE SCENE: EXPECTATIONS OF UNI LIFE (15 MINS)
Split the group into smaller groups of three or four and ask the groups to create what they think is a typical University student. They could write a description or draw on an outline of a person.
· What do they think of when they think of Uni students?
· What stereotypes are they aware of?
· What experiences do they think that the student will have?
Draw the group together and ask them to show what they have created, using the following to debunk some of the preconceived ideas of what Uni students are like and their experiences.