Leave a Legacy to SCM

A legacy is a gift of personal property specified in your Will to people and causes that are important to you. It is something that you will be remembered for when you are no longer with us.

By leaving a legacy to SCM, you will be giving future generations of students the opportunity to be part of a progressive, student-led faith in action. A community that will enable them to explore and deepen their faith and work towards a socially just world. 

In leaving a gift to SCM in your Will, you are partnering with us in our vision of SCM as a generous community, expressing a lived faith in Jesus Christ where social action meets prayerful devotion. We seek to be both a radical voice for equality and justice, and a safe home for progressive Christian students

We rely on support from individuals like you, through making regular donations and leaving a legacy gift, so that we can continue our vital work of empowering students to explore and live out the Christian faith.

Past legacies have contributed to expanding the website and creating a digital space for students to find out about SCM, and towards high-quality training events preparing attendees to become the leaders of tomorrow.

If this is something you would like to think about, please email fundraising@movement.org.uk

We've partnered with the Goodwill Partnership, an award winning home-visit Will writing service. Visit their website for more information

If you do decide to include SCM in your Will, please do let us know! This will enable us to plan better for the future and thank you properly, keeping you up-to-date about all of the exciting work that SCM is doing with students across the country.

Here are some answers to some Frequently Asked Questions to do with Legacies and Wills.

Why should I leave a gift to SCM? First of all, creating a Will ensures that your wishes are carried out and that family and loved ones are provided for. If you believe that every student should have the opportunity to find a vibrant, open and inclusive Christian community at University, you should consider leaving a gift to SCM in your Will. Legacies make a huge difference to the amount of work that we are able to do with students and recent graduates.
What types of legacy are there? The three most common types of legacy gift are: 

Residual Legacy - This is a gift of part of your estate, once all the debts, costs, and other bequests have been settled. It is not eroded by inflation.

Pecuniary Legacy - This is a gift of a fixed sum of money specified in your Will as a gift to a recipient.

Specific Legacy - This is a gift of a specific item, such as a painting, land or shares.
How do I make a Will? Many people will consult with a solicitor specialising in Wills or a legal advisor who will explain the process. You may wish to contact solicitors to get information about fees beforehand.
What are the legal words I need to use? It depends on your gift, which your solicitor or legal advisor can assist you with. An example of a residual bequest would be:

"I give XX% of the residue of my real and personal estate to The Student Christian Movement, registered charity number 1125640, Grays Court, 3 Nursery Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 3JX, and I direct that the receipt of the treasurer or other proper officer shall be a full and sufficient discharge to my executors."
How can I protect my loved ones? You need to decide who your beneficiaries will be before meeting your solicitor. Your first consideration maybe your family and any special friends, and then you may choose to leave a gift to SCM and other charities.
Does tax apply to legacies given to Charities? No, all gifts left to charities are exempt from Inheritance Tax. Your solicitor or legal advice will provide you with further advice.
I've already written a Will - can I change it? If you already have a Will and want to add a gift, ask your solicitor or legal advisor to add a 'codicil' (a simple legal addition to your existing will). If you wish to make more extensive changes, you should seek further advice from your solicitor.